« Home | Where I've BEAN » | 13 Movie Girlfriends » | Movies » | Note to Others » | Bring It On » | Prom Challenge » | Artsy Fartsy » | Six Degrees... » | St. Pat's » | Sunday Ritual » 

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 

GAH!

I've decided to name this post GAH as it is the only word that accurately describes how freaking pissed off I am right now. GAAAAAAHHHHH! Let me give you a little backstory.

About 2 weeks ago, all the parents at our daycare were met with a nice little suprise when we picked up our children. In each cubby was a piece of paper stating that the daycare would close on June 30, 2007. WHAT? Where the hell did that come from? I realize most of you know nothing about this daycare - in short, it is the largest day care in the city and is run by the local community college which is part of the SUNY system (State University of New York). This community college is one of the largest in New York State and will soon be the ONLY community college in the state without a day care. This announcement came out of left field, to say the least. The college has put forth many reasons ranging from "day care is not part of our mission" to "ever increasing costs" - which floors me considering I've had to take out a second mortgage on my house just to send my kids there. As upset as I am about the closing, I also consider myself lucky as my son's last day there was to be June 22 - one week shy of the shut down.

My son can attend a children's school program where I work in the summertime (thank God) and is scheduled to attend a full day universal pre-kindergarten program in the fall at my daughter's school. FINALLY, the huge burden of day care has been lifted (if you don't count the second mortgage payments that is). FINALLY we can think about paving the mud pit we call a driveway. FINALLY we can think about replacing the old drafty windows that let all the heat out in what seems like 6 months of winter. FINALLY I get a call from the Pre-K program telling me it's no longer a full day - er um WHAT??!!??!! OOOHHH, it seems the closing of the day care at the college (which also housed a Pre-K program) has displaced so many children that they have changed my sons UPK to two half day programs to accommodate more kids. GAAAHHH! I'm so pissed right now I don't even know where to start. There goes any hope of dissing day care charges for at least another year. PLUS, where the hell am I going to send him? - his current day care is closing - remember? GAAAHHH!

To top things off, the new, expensive elliptical machine friggin' broke this morning. I can't even work off all this stress. When it rains, it pours. Hope you had a better day.

Oh my gosh. I really feel your pain there. While there are other feasible daycare options around here, I wouldn't want to have to pursue them. We are very comfortable here, where our son has been going since he was 9 weeks old. They also have an after school program that he will attend once he starts school.

Those preschool people are insane. Don't they realize that by making the program half day to help the people who are displaced, they are actually managing to inconvenience EVERYONE, instead of only inconvenience half the people?!?

There is a preschool in my son's daycare that he will most likely attend in the fall, but it's only 2 half days a week. He will walk escorted right down to the preschool room from his daycare room.

I hope you can figure out a solution...I can imagine how stressful that is!

ugh, at least they gave you "some" notice before closing. Last year one of the main day care's closed and a bunch of the mom's got together and created a new one, maybe that will happen there.
YOU could always quit your job and start a day care, I hear there is great money in it if you can tolerate a bunch of kids all day (you couldn't pay ME enough though).

good luck. sux about your NEW elliptical (they are evil evil machines though).

I feel that day care is seriously the most stressful part of being a career mommy.

...Forget about the need to have dinner prepared and ready within minutes of walking in the door after work. Forget about finishing dinner only to have to get the kids bathed and ready for bed. Forget that you wish you had more time to spend with your kids. Forget that your day doesn't end until the 8 o'clock hour, at which time you desperately want to crash, however you can't give in and call it a day just yet. You do need time for yourself.

Somehow, all of this does not compare to the stress of feeling insecure about where you child is and the care they are receiving. I've too have had many problems with day care and I feel for you.

Good luck!

Savvy Momma

Sorry for all that! I think the only good response is "Gah!"

Sorry to read this... it sucks!

Good luck with the planning.

Serves you right for trying to have a career. You shoud be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant of course.

Well, maybe as Mick said a new daycare will open. Is there anything there similar to our preschool? It's church run but it does cost an arm and a leg.

Post a Comment