« Home | Update » | Thursday 13 » | Clearing the Air » | Blog It Out! » | Clean Machine » | List Steal » | Treasure Trove » | Big Love » | Mom's Day! » | Rocket Science » 

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 

I Realize This Shouldn't Upset Me But...

When I got to the daycare yesterday, there it was... the dreaded plastic bag! Most mommies are familiar - it contains your child's dirty clothes (presumably from a leaky diaper). I hate the sight of "the bag." I opened the bag with trepidation, expecting an overwhelming whiff of poo - but not this time. Phew. The clothes were just wet, not poopy. After I picked up the clothes I noticed that my sons "extra outfit" was still in his cubby. I wondered why they hadn't used it but figured they'd just probably clothed him in some clothes that belong to the school. His extra outfit was a pair of sweat pants and a sweatshirt which would have been a bit warm on a hot day (like yesterday).

I made my way to the message board in his room where the teacher lists the days events. It said the kids had been watering the garden outside and had gotten a "little wet." Then, as if shouting, the next line read, "MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD HAS A CHANGE OF CLOTHES FOR F*CK'S SAKE!" Okay, it didn't really say that last part, but it was clear the teacher was annoyed by the lack of extra outfits. I then got to my son's daily progress report (the piece of paper that tells you how much they pooed and peed all day). At the bottom, in huge letters again I read, "PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD HAS A CHANGE OF CLOTHES!!!" I am irked.

I make my way outside where his teacher and I have the following exchange:

Teach:"Sorry he's in Daycare X's clothes but he didn't have ANY in his cubby."
PGirl: "Umm no...he does have clothes in there but I guess you thought he might be too hot in them. So that's fine."
Teach: "Oh by the way, his sneakers are soaking wet too. The kids got drenched earlier."
PGirl: "Great." which is accompanied by a smirky, half sarcastic smile.

In the meantime, she lets my son out of the gated play area and he runs halfway down the block while I'm signing both kids out. I am now beyond annoyed. I realize this woman probably deals with difficult parents all the time and I don't mean to insinuate that she meant to harm my child in anyway by letting him loose BUT here's my stance:

1. Out of all the people you could complain about are you seriously picking on me?
2. My kid DID have clothes which 3 days earlier (in 50 degree weather) would have been perfectly acceptable.
3. If you're taking the kids out to get "drenched" please let me know ahead of time and I will not only send extra clothes but I'll throw in a swimsuit, sandals and a towel to boot.

Ya know, it costs more than private school to send my kids to this daycare. And while I'm sure this teacher hardly reaps the fianancial benefits of my kids' tuition, she doesn't need to take her frustration out on me, who is currently a candidate for mommy of the year (okay, maybe not but seriously people!)

I went home, washed the clothes that belong to the school and brought them back today along with an extra set of "summer" clothes. I think I'm just pissed because I try so hard NOT to give the teachers anything to worry about concerning my kids. Sometimes, you can't win. Grrr.

I just brought a pair of shorts to add to my son's little cubby of extra clothes this week. They did the same thing once...Put him in their extra clothes then when I asked why "I didn't realize he had any" Well...they were in the box with his name on it where you put it...

The thing that really got me was a couple weeks ago . My son had a sore throat. He had seen the doctor, it wasn't strep, he was acting fine, so he went to daycare. I gave him Tylenol in the morning, and I said if he is putting his hand in his mouth a lot this afternoon, this is his way of telling us his throat is hurting - PLEASE GIVE HIM TYLENOL. I filled out the medicine release. That afternoon hubby picked him up and the first thing they said was "He was putting his hand in his mouth a lot". But they hadn't given him any Tylenol. I was livid. When I talked to the lady who I had explicitly explained this to, she first said he wasn't doing it much. When I said it was the first thing the other gal told my husband when he picked him up, she then started talking about how her daughter once got ill from Tylenol, and she tries to avoid it...While I respect her views for her own (grown) daughter, this is MY son, and we go by the doctor's medical advice, not hers, and if we want our son to have Tylenol, her personal opinions on Tylenol have nothing to do with that and do not serve as a reason not to give it to him...

Wow...Kinda started going off there, sorry. Yeah, I know what you mean...=)

I hear ya 3. They won't even administer medication at this daycare (and apparently not at yours either!) I do feel like some of the teachers assert their own views on child rearing on to me. Sometimes I actually feel like maybe they are jealous of me? Not sure. Most of them are super sweet though and I KNOW they love my kids... but still...

I would have definitely said something about letting the parent know if they were planning to have the kids get wet. Maybe that teacher or teachers aide got dumped that morning or found out she had cancer or something terrible. In that case, we can give her a break.

Oh Cyn, I have been considering such a letter ever since yesterday. I am thinking maybe an e-mail since the director and I are on pretty friendly terms. Funny thing is, this particular teacher from yesterday used to give my husband attitude where he used to work here in town. She works part time for another organization that was affiliated with his school and I believe "indignant" was the word he used to describe her. It's weird - when my daughter was in her class, I loved her, but lately I just sense a bit of arrogance. WHATEVER! Maybe she just needs a stiff drink!

Post a Comment