Okay, So About the Dog...
Let me just tell y'all about the dog since everyone has a piece of advice (which I greatly appreciate - seriously!)
For some time, we have been contemplating a dog - however... there is always some reason to NOT get one. Time, money, allergies, etc. I have thought about going to the Humane Society MANY times, but I always chicken out. So... enter Robin, my friend (whom I see at all 4 year old "functions" - day care, dance class, birthday parties, etc.) Her boss is trying to find homes for puppies. I do not immediately respond (one more thing to deal with) but, for some reason, the thought never really leaves me.
Robin tells me about the pups on Saturday and by Monday I e-mail her to get more info. You see... they are cinnamon colored poodles. My first thought is "prissy dog with pom pons on its butt." But - then my husband points out that they do not shed (one of the biggest issues for me as far as clean up). This would also be great for my son who has allergies (although we really don't know to what). And so, I get a little more sucked in.
My husband e-mailed everyone in his school to see what they thought (hey, we are trying to be thorough here) and got several responses from poodle owners who all agree poodles, if trained properly, are good with kids and excellent pets. So, after much deliberation, we decide to take the plunge.
Now, we have been "approved" by the puppies' current owner (yes there was a screening process to make sure we'd provide a good home) and I think we're ready to go. I am supposed to pick it up this weekend. Any suggestions for the new puppy (supplies, names, etc.) are appreciated (even if you are making fun of me).
Pics by Monday if it works out.
For some time, we have been contemplating a dog - however... there is always some reason to NOT get one. Time, money, allergies, etc. I have thought about going to the Humane Society MANY times, but I always chicken out. So... enter Robin, my friend (whom I see at all 4 year old "functions" - day care, dance class, birthday parties, etc.) Her boss is trying to find homes for puppies. I do not immediately respond (one more thing to deal with) but, for some reason, the thought never really leaves me.
Robin tells me about the pups on Saturday and by Monday I e-mail her to get more info. You see... they are cinnamon colored poodles. My first thought is "prissy dog with pom pons on its butt." But - then my husband points out that they do not shed (one of the biggest issues for me as far as clean up). This would also be great for my son who has allergies (although we really don't know to what). And so, I get a little more sucked in.
My husband e-mailed everyone in his school to see what they thought (hey, we are trying to be thorough here) and got several responses from poodle owners who all agree poodles, if trained properly, are good with kids and excellent pets. So, after much deliberation, we decide to take the plunge.
Now, we have been "approved" by the puppies' current owner (yes there was a screening process to make sure we'd provide a good home) and I think we're ready to go. I am supposed to pick it up this weekend. Any suggestions for the new puppy (supplies, names, etc.) are appreciated (even if you are making fun of me).
Pics by Monday if it works out.

Two thoughts...
1. If you don't want more puppies get a male, also not as much mess during "heat"....hee.hee...
2. Give the dog a COOL name! No fu fu prissy names. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a poodle named spike or butch???
Posted by
Sherri |
4:58 PM
you know you're going to have to let the kids name that dog. if mazzy was naming a dog right now, it would be something like "harty" or she would have her stepsister who is japanese help her come up with a name like "chinewawa".
you may be wondering about her japanese stepsister....well according to her she also had a stepsister who died because she got ran over by a garbage truck. she even made up a song about it.
Posted by
princess slea |
5:02 PM
i always wanted to get a pet and name it "teacher" just so when i needed to call it, i could yell "TEACHER!" like Bruce Lee's character in The Big Boss.
Posted by
princess slea |
5:04 PM
It will be a male (phew) and there is NO way I'm letting the kids name it. Kate calls all her imaginary friends, her dolls, her make-believe characters, including her wig wielding alter ego, CiCi. I don't want a boy dog named CiCi... although when I asked my friend Robin what she's naming the female puppy she will take, she said "CiCi" - I almost lost it. Apparently our daughters both use this name A LOT.
Since our last name is Barry, how about Blue, Raz or Boisen - Barry? How about Dingle? The list goes on and on...
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
7:16 PM
If you want to make it seem like you are letting the kids have a say in the name, you could do this...all four of you pick a name and put it into a hat. And then "choose" the paper that has the name that you and your husband decided on ahead of time. Thereby the kids feel like they got a say in it.
Also, I recommend neutering. It will prevent the dog from getting territorial and marking, and it will make it less likely to "compete" with the others in the house.
But dogs are THE BEST! I can't wait until Bill and I get one of our own!
Posted by
MC |
7:32 PM
We will get it neutered. And I like the idea of putting names in a hat - althought my daughter informed me today that if it is a boy dog, her brother can name it. He's still too young to come up with a name so... maybe we grown-ups will luck out and get to pick it ourselves. Details on Monday...
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
9:25 PM