« Home | Karaoke On Demand - Who Knew? » | The Electric Company-E-E-E » | Permanent Ink » | Valentine's Update.... » | To Give, or Not To Give... » | The Best Toaster Ever » | Another Stolen List » | Bad Habits » | Endless Cycle » | Your Eyes are Heavy... You are VERY Sleepy... » 

Thursday, February 23, 2006 

Inspection Rejection!

On Monday we took the minivan for an oil change. It also needed it's yearly NYS inspection so I asked the people at Firestone to do that too. We've been taking our cars to Firestone for minor maintenance for a while (it's located right outside the local mall so we can usually kill some time shopping while we wait). Our minivan is only two years old so I didn't foresee any problems.

After enjoying a "food court" lunch and an Auntie Anne's pretzel for dessert (avec cream cheese of course!) we got the call:
"Uh, ya this is Firestone, your van won't pass inspection unless you replace the front driver's side tie rod."

WHAT? This guy must be nuts. This van is two years old and it won't pass inspection? Do you know how many hunks of junk are driving on the roads of NYS that have been passing inspection for years? We quickly walk over to Firestone to see what the deal is. Again we are told that the tie rod is bad and can't pass without $150.00 of repairs. I explain to the guy that I'm confused as I recently had my car into the dealer to replace bushings in the front end - and I assume they would have noticed this problem. We call our dealer to see if the tie rods are covered under are warranty - which THEY ARE. Firestone fails the inspection and sends us on our way.

Today I take the van to the dealer and ask them to inspect and check the tie rod. About ten minutes ago I get a call from the dealer:
"Which tie rod is it? We've had two techs inspect all four tie rods and they are fine."

I KNEW IT!

Beware of Firestone... I can't imagine how many people they scam every day who don't know enough to question them. And the worst part is, they kept up the charade and actually failed the inspection just so they wouldn't have admit they'd fabricated the need for repairs. Hard to trust anyone these days. Jeesh! At least I got a trip to the mall and an Auntie Anne's pretzel out of the deal.

It makes me "inferious" when people try to purposely take advantage of other people. Why can't people just be honest, do their best job, and give the best price to EVERYONE??
Keep in mind those shysters are bringing bad karma into their own lives.

So was your dealer able to pass the inspection for you, or do you have to take it elsewhere now?

Sometimes the dealerships try to pull one over on people, too. When I was single, I took my 4 year old vehicle to the dealer for an oil change. I had recently had the front brakes replaced. They came out and said "You need the front brakes replaced." I said "No, I don't. I just had them done last month" and they said "Well, they've probably got about 4 YEARS left on them." Trying to take advantage of a single gal because you think she won't know her own car...Shame on you.

I hear ya, I generally don't trust ANYONE that works on cars - but the dealership is actually owned by my sister-in-law's family so they don't usually mess with me (luckily). And yes, it passes inspection with them.

When I was single I had all kinds of trouble with people trying to take advantage of me at a dealer where I leased my Jeep. I finally started taking it elsewhere. Live and learn.

This story reminds me about my rear brakes getting changed before my fronts. I was given some story about how my car is built a certain way to even out the wear on both from and back so it was "normal" to do the back a little early... but ever since, then I've been greeted with puzzled looks every time I tell other mechanics this. Things that make me go "hmmmm...."

Truthfully tho, I've had garage trouble in the sense that they didn't do something right or whatever (I've even once been told to take it back to the dealer because of some proprietary secrets involved), but never full-on lied to to get more work done.

Post a Comment