« Home | Why is it... » | Quick Note on the Nurse » | Okay so... » | Develop - MENTAL » | Blah, blah, blah... » | How Much Crap Can Happen in One Week? » | Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes! » | Dream the Impossible Dream! » | Challenge Accepted! » | Nothing Ever Happens on Mars... » 

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 

This Day in Preppygirl History...

I just looked over to my desk calendar and was reminded of what happened to me, two years ago today.

It was a beautiful fall day, just like this. I was 9 months pregnant - in fact, it was my due date. My husband, daughter and I decided to do some yard work. The lawn was filled with leaves and sticks and I was hoping to "jump start" some labor by partaking in a little physical activity. We were out for about an hour, and NOTHING was happening with me. Just waddling around like a penguin in sweatpants. I decided to take a little break by sitting on a small stone wall we have in the side yard. My husband was on the rider mower (which is way too small for him so it was quite a sight) and was attempting to mulch the leaves from the 5 big oak trees in our yard.

I stood atop this wall for a second (where there's a small patio) and then stepped down to sit - that's when it happened. I looked down to see my foot turned sideways and heard a "CRACK!" Oh God, what was that, WHAT WAS THAT!? Suddenly I knew. It was my ankle, and it wasn't good. I yelled at my husband, he kept mowing, deaf to my screams. I tried to motion again and barely caught his eye. He was ecstatic! "Oh Boy is this it?" he said. I couldn't even speak, shock had set in. Somehow I eventually told him what happened and he quickly scooted our daughter into car. He came back for me but I couldn't walk - there was no way - he would have to carry me.

This was hilarious. Len tried to scoop me up and was met with a rude awakening - I was HUGE and HEAVY. His eyes bugged out of his skull and I thought for a moment he'd hurt his back. "HOLY CRAP!," he blurted out. We both laughed so hard we were crying by the time we reached the car. I called my dad (who's been a football coach for many years) while en route to the ER and described the condition of my ankle. Now, my dad has always been one to downplay anything. "Suck it up" and "Just put some tape on it" are two of his favorite phrases. So when he said, "Oh honey, that does not sound good at all" I knew it was bad. He was right.

4 days later I delivered a healthy baby boy with my ankle in a cast. My dad said when he came to the hospital to visit, he didn't even need to check my room number at the desk. He just walked down the hall in the maternity ward, peeking in rooms until he saw a broken leg - then he knew he was in the right place.

Look at sweet Ali....

Hi there,saw your post and just wanted to see how your feeling.I broke my foot also and stuck in this ugly uncomfortable and cast and pain in the neck crutches.Anyway,I hope the baby is well,congrats and heal quick.

Post a Comment