Once Upon a Time...
I realize this post is a little long but... if you don't mind reading some sap, indulge me.
About 10 years ago, a friend at work wanted to set me up with this guy. She kept saying he was funny and nice and I'd probably get along well with him. He happened to work in the same building as me so I got to sneak a peek a few times and he looked pretty okay so I thought, "what the hey." My friend said she'd tell him I was "interested" and I waited, somewhat patiently for him to make the first move.
Days passed and still, nothing. I approached my friend to see if the guy'd lost interest- "What the hell? Tell him to hurry up already." You know what it's like, going to work everyday - thinking you might see him - having to act like you don't see him when he's clearly in "eye-shot" - flipping your hair - dressing in your most flattering outfits. Let's face it, trying not to look desperate is a full time job in itself.
One day, a knock came on our office door. "Preppygirl!... There's someone at the door for you..." Now, let me just say that I was the Manager or our area which was a secure office (departmental employees only) so you literally had to knock on a locked door and wait outside - not unlike coming to someone's house. All my employees were giggling - because they'd caught on by then to what was up and it was like having 8 little brothers & sisters teasing you relentlessly. I checked my face & hair (AGAIN) and made my way to the door - which I shut behind me but could still see little faces poking through the blinds on the windows. As soon as I am outside, the following exchange took place:
At this point, I realize I am locked out of the office and have to sheepishly wait while NO ONE opens the door for me. I finallythreaten persuade someone to open the door and getting WAY ahead of myself I kinda *float* back down to my office. While the girls in the office descend upon me to see what happened, my phone rings - it's him. "What night did we say we were going out?" I reply, "Thursday - March 12th." He giggles at himself a little and hangs up.
Two nights later my life changed forever. 10 years, 2 kids, 2 degrees, 1 broken leg, 1 kidney stone, 2 homes, 13 jobs, 8 cars, 2 fish, and 1 dog later - we're still together.
About 10 years ago, a friend at work wanted to set me up with this guy. She kept saying he was funny and nice and I'd probably get along well with him. He happened to work in the same building as me so I got to sneak a peek a few times and he looked pretty okay so I thought, "what the hey." My friend said she'd tell him I was "interested" and I waited, somewhat patiently for him to make the first move.
Days passed and still, nothing. I approached my friend to see if the guy'd lost interest- "What the hell? Tell him to hurry up already." You know what it's like, going to work everyday - thinking you might see him - having to act like you don't see him when he's clearly in "eye-shot" - flipping your hair - dressing in your most flattering outfits. Let's face it, trying not to look desperate is a full time job in itself.
One day, a knock came on our office door. "Preppygirl!... There's someone at the door for you..." Now, let me just say that I was the Manager or our area which was a secure office (departmental employees only) so you literally had to knock on a locked door and wait outside - not unlike coming to someone's house. All my employees were giggling - because they'd caught on by then to what was up and it was like having 8 little brothers & sisters teasing you relentlessly. I checked my face & hair (AGAIN) and made my way to the door - which I shut behind me but could still see little faces poking through the blinds on the windows. As soon as I am outside, the following exchange took place:
Him: "Sooo... I hear you like beer."
Me: (slightly taken aback) "Umm, yeah. I do." (WTH did my friend tell him?)
Him: "Sooo... do you want to get a beer after work tomorrow night?"
Me: "Well, how about Thursday night - do you work Thursday night?"
Him: "Ummm, yeah I think so. That should work."
Me: "Okay, well I'll meet you backstage around 9:00 on Thursday."
At this point, I realize I am locked out of the office and have to sheepishly wait while NO ONE opens the door for me. I finally
Two nights later my life changed forever. 10 years, 2 kids, 2 degrees, 1 broken leg, 1 kidney stone, 2 homes, 13 jobs, 8 cars, 2 fish, and 1 dog later - we're still together.

Back at ya' love! Though, we've gotten 3 degrees between us in 10 years. I'd forgotten about the fish! Lavar and ....I can't remember the other one.
Posted by
Galoot |
2:14 PM
Very nice story. Happy Anniversary!
I was fixed up with my husband, too. Sometimes it's nice to let someone else do the work, ha!
Posted by
3carnations |
2:15 PM
Wait, so is this your wedding anniversary in addition to your getting-together-anniversary?
Posted by
3carnations |
2:16 PM
3C - nah - just our "first-date" anniversary.
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
2:36 PM
Galoot - Lavar & John Amos! I can't believe you forgot!!! You're dead to me - just like the fish.
I see you blogged twice today and didn't even mention our date-a-versary. WTF-ever. I still love you. All EIGHTEEN-missed-calls-on-my-cell and all.
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
2:39 PM
Thats a good story.
Posted by
Tim |
2:40 PM
I was trying to comment, but couldn't for some reason. I remembered Amos. They've got roots!
Posted by
Galoot |
2:41 PM
P.S. I put a third post up today. Dig it!
Posted by
Galoot |
2:45 PM
Oh, sweet.
Posted by
-R- |
3:18 PM
I saw Galoot's post first. Regardless, this reader is a pile of mush. Lots of OMG!SOCUTE!AWWW!
Posted by
Julia |
3:24 PM
You guys are a sitcom. Contratulations.
Posted by
Mr. Social |
3:30 PM
i got interrupted half way through because i had to go vomit.
Posted by
princess slea |
11:12 AM
What a wonderful story! Happy Anniversary!
Posted by
MMM |
11:50 AM
Sounds like you picked a winner!
Posted by
Mimi |
4:46 PM
What a CUTE story! This is much belated, but happy anniversary anyway...
Posted by
The Pink Totebag |
10:37 PM
I love how we met stories! Congrats on your great catch and no longer having to worry about looking desperate! (Love that...too funny!) Great picture too, I know you're wearig great shoes. ;)
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:56 AM
A very belated happy date-iversary. I wish we were neighbors...that'd be fun.
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:55 PM