« Home | Where the Hell Have I Been? » | It's Indescribably Beautiful! » | Show & Tell » | Finally, Something to Blog About » | 13 Weird Things About Me » | Bring on the Christmas! » | Blizzard! » | Me Want Cookie » | Just Stuff » | I Got Heavy & He's My Brother » 

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 

Fit Fair?

Okay, so we had a "fit fair" at work today. It's essentially an attempt by our health insurance provider to get us on the fitness track by measuring our weight, body fat%, flexibility, strength and lung capacity. My co-workers and I viewed it more as an excuse to get out of work for an hour and socialize.

I walked into a room just down the hall from my office to find at least 20 people waiting for their "assessment." The assessors had clearly fallen behind by at least 45 minutes in pushing us through the assembly-line-type-testing-course they'd set up. I felt like I was in junior high school again cracking uncomfortable jokes and making nervous conversation in the waiting area. It was awkward and hilarious.

I was feeling pretty good about myself. I've lost weight in the last year and didn't think I'd be too shocked at anything these assessors could dish out. I secretly imagined them telling me how "in shape" I was compared to the rest of the staff - I mean, let's remember, I was the proud winner of the presedential academic fitness award at age twelve and had somewhat recently (okay 6 years ago) worked out religiously 3 times a week. Finally, my name was called for testing and I anxiously hopped up to the man with the blood pressure cuff.

Blood pressure looking good. One up, one down. Next, the lung capacity test. No problem. I have the lungs of a 20 year old. Flexibility? Above average. Strength? Above average. I was on my way. A little disappoinment surfaced at "weigh in" time as I'd somehow gained 5 pounds since earlier that morning when I weighed myself at home in the buff (someone's scale is off and I'm blaming theirs). But hey, still not too bad considering about a year ago it would've been at least 15 pounds more. Now, almost done. Just measure my body fat and I'm ready for my glowing assessment. Let's see, body fat is WHAT??? I'm too embarrassed to list it here but I will tell you that on a scale of Excellent, to good, to fair, to poor, to very poor - uh ya - apparently I'm below the poverty level.

A little taken aback by my "very poor" rating I move over to the assessment chick who does some calculations with my figures. Finally, the magic target weight loss number appears. Are you ready for this? ( I sure wasn't)

22.3 lbs.!!!!

Are you freakin' kiddin' me? I'm guessing they call this the "fit fair" because of all the people who throw a fit once they're told how overweight they are. WHAT.EVER.

Well, I've got to get my fat ass to bed so I can get up early enough to work out tomorrow.
I'm gonna pack it in before this day gets any worse (or I get any fatter). Peace!

I think they have scales that don't work. That happens here. All. The. Time.

I think those "ideal weight" things are way off. My "ideal weight" is somewhere around what I weighed in junior high. I may be a little chunky, but I'm not THAT chunky!

As long as you're happy, feel healthy and have lots of energy, that's what counts.

Thats just craziness. I'm 6'4 230 and by government health standards i'm 40-45 lbs over weight and am 10 from obese

there is no way you need to lose 22 lbs! If your blood pressure, flexibility, and strength are all above normal then wtf? If you lost another 22lbs you'd be weak and frail.
Now, if your body fat count is high (which I don't think it is) then i could see them recommending lifting weights to build muscle but NOT losing weight.
crazies.


(i'd really hate to have to go through that line, i am sooooo out of shape. i get winded carrying Jude and walking up a flight of stairs these days. ahhh winter)

ps. sorry to say this but I do think your scale weighs about 5 lbs light. i was really thinking i'd lost some poundage when i was out there but i found them when i got home and weighed on my own scale (which is matching to the weight watchers scale).

The weight of the scale not a big deal. Your using the same scale everyday so If you were to lose ten lbs on your scale but gain five on another scale thats just math. you still lost ten lbs

Oh man, I totally agree with everyone who says that a lot of those ideal weight metrics are, not to put too fine a point on it, crap.

If I achieved my "ideal weight" (15 pounds lighter than right now), I would be a size 0. I think we all can agree that size 0 is totally unnecessary.

Jabba the Sober Mick!

Are you totally photo-shopping the pictures you post on here? You do not need to lose 22.3 pounds! I do love how specific they are though. Not just 22, 22.3!

First of all, I saw you in Nov. and you looked great and trim!

Secondly, I gotta believe that where you live from "nikked" weigh-in in morning to clothed weight-in at work, you got to put on 5-10-20? pounds of clothes not to freeze your ass off!

C., Last time I had my body fat measured the Dipstick said "FULL - ADD NO MORE"

Ouch! I'd say for having only seen a few pictures of you, you are NOT 22lbs over weight!!

I strongly believe it is ALL about how YOU feel about yourself, not waht a damn scale shows nor those pinchers from Hell!

Shucks guys. I hope you didn't think I was fishing for compliments (but, let's face it, they're always nice to hear). I'm not all jacked up about it or anything. I did actually start working out recently (at my doctor's recommendation due to stress) - so, I'll be losing a bit I'm sure. But 22 pounds? Doubtful, but I'll keep ya posted.

That's totally wrong. You do NOT need to lose 22 pounds. I think your assessment was done by a woman with an eating disorder or something.

i think its pretty bad that your insurance provider is tracking your weight. What is the next step, they refuse to insure people who are not in perfect shape b/c it will cost them more money.

at my previous corporate job they used to have a "health fair" and would draw blood, test fat count, weight, etc. I never took part. I told my coworkers who did to be careful when the bosses asked for voice samples next.
stepford employees.

Post a Comment