« Home | Yard Sales Rock! » | 5 Questions... » | FREEDOM! » | Turn Out the Lights... the Pity Party is OVER! » | Pity Party » | Terrible 2's » | Modern Technology » | Cat Scratch Fever?? » | The Post-Urinal » | Runway Life... » 

Saturday, August 13, 2005 

FAN-fare

So I spent my day tending to my grandma's yard sale. Grandma has kinda "lost it" at this point so the conversations were interesting. One went something like this.

Grandma: "That's a nice fan over there. Is it yours?"

Me: "Grandma, it's your fan. You just brought it out because of the heat."

Grandma: "Oh, well I don't want to sell it! I'm going to take it back in."

Me: "We're not going to sell it, it's to help us stay cool."

(5 minutes later Grandma returns with the box for the fan)

Grandma: "I brought this out so I can put the fan away."

Me: "Are you sure Grandma? It'll be much hotter without it."

Grandma: "Well I don't want to sell the fan."

Me: "I WON'T SELL THE FAN. See, there's no price on it."

Grandma: "Well there's a price right here on the box!"

Me: "Grandma, that's the price tag from when you
bought it in the store."

Grandma: "Don't tell me there's no price on it! It's right here."

Me: "Fine Grandma, put the fan in the box and take it in the house."

Grandma: "But won't we be hot without it?"

Poor thing. She ended up leaving the fan but continued to remind me that she didn't want to sell it. I sat back and smiled, feeling lucky that she at least still remembers who I am - her only granddaughter and one of her biggest "fans."

hey, mike really enjoyed your story about your grandma with dementia ~ kinda makes you want to go check out his culinary arts school. NOT
Did your Grandma sell her red china bulls on the sale?

Poor Grandma....but like you said, at least she still knows you. I'm glad you got the money to go to Vegas. :)

Oh my god those red china bulls! No way. Those were being closely protected. My dad said all week he was bringing stuff out of her house to the garage and as soon as he'd leave, she'd take it back in the house (which would explain teh fan incident!) She thought we were selling all her worldly posessions. Uggh.

oh no -- sounds like a very sweet grandma :)

Post a Comment