Sunday Best
What happened to dressing up for church? On Easter Sunday I was so disappointed at what I saw. We went to our old church in Florida, and naturally expected to see people in their Sunday Best - what a let down.
Don't get me wrong, most were dressed somewhat nicely - but being Easter Sunday (and all) I was expecting men in suits, women in hats, and little girls in foofy (is that a word?) dresses - it was kinda sad. I'll tell you right now, only a few men were wearing suits (hubby included), my mom and I were the only women wearing hats, and my daughter had the biggest, foofiest (I'm making it a word) dress in the whole darn church. What's up with that? Mind you, this church is in a very affluent area where dressing up shouldn't be an issue. I actually seem to remember now that even way back when we attended this church regularly, warnings had to be issued in the church bulletin about being dressed too casually - no shorts, mini skirts, bathing suits (yes I'm serious), or bare midriffs. Do people really have to be told stuff like this? Uh ya apparently.
Sometimes I would overhear people making the argument that "We are on vacation and these are the only clothes we have." Hey - I had to bring an extra suitcase just to fit this foofy thing (there's that word again) - plan ahead people!
Don't get me wrong, most were dressed somewhat nicely - but being Easter Sunday (and all) I was expecting men in suits, women in hats, and little girls in foofy (is that a word?) dresses - it was kinda sad. I'll tell you right now, only a few men were wearing suits (hubby included), my mom and I were the only women wearing hats, and my daughter had the biggest, foofiest (I'm making it a word) dress in the whole darn church. What's up with that? Mind you, this church is in a very affluent area where dressing up shouldn't be an issue. I actually seem to remember now that even way back when we attended this church regularly, warnings had to be issued in the church bulletin about being dressed too casually - no shorts, mini skirts, bathing suits (yes I'm serious), or bare midriffs. Do people really have to be told stuff like this? Uh ya apparently.
Sometimes I would overhear people making the argument that "We are on vacation and these are the only clothes we have." Hey - I had to bring an extra suitcase just to fit this foofy thing (there's that word again) - plan ahead people!

We tend to dress business casual for Church. Holiday or no holiday, it's generally khakis and a button down shirt for hubby, and slacks and a cute top for me. Our son wears the same things he normally wears. When I first began attending Church (in my early twenties) I always wore skirts...of course at that time, I always wore skirts at the office, too. I think as a society we have become more casual, for better or worse. I think casual is fine for Church, as long as it's not trashy looking or unclean. Really, Jesus never wore a suit...and we are there to worship Him, not impress Him with our fancy clothes...That's just my opinion.
One of the pediatricians from the practice we take our son to goes to our church, and she has 3 daughters. All four of them were wearing matching flowered dresses. It was adorable.
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:54 AM
I agree, at least they're there... I don't mean to say you need to be super spiffed up all the time - I guess I was just surprised that on Easter Sunday, of all days, I didn't see people dressed up like I thought they would. I guess we are just from a different time for sure wordnerd. I see those altar servers up there (great, nice kids)in their nice white robes then glance down to notice they're wearing dirty old sneakers! The world has indeed gone casual. And here I sit at work in my capris and sneakers today! Guilty.
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
2:12 PM
We went with my parents to their very small church where jeans are the usual attire. Hubby was the ONLY man wearing a suit and man did he look hot (hee hee) and I was one of a few wearing a dress and heels but I skipped the foofy dresses for the girls this year but usually they are the only ones who are dressed up as well. My Mom did make the same observation about how she used to dress me and my brothers to the nines on Easter Sunday.
Posted by
Anonymous |
6:11 PM
I TOTALLY believe in dressing up for church - and dressing up even more for Easter. Your daughter's dress is ADORABLE!
Posted by
Unknown |
11:16 AM
My kids both got to wear their "wedding" attire for their uncle bryan's wedding a little early for Easter. At least i'm going to get two wearings out of that flower girl dress.
My husband actually got up and went with us to church on Easter!
no hats for us though.
Posted by
princess slea |
11:30 AM