Baby Names
The subject of baby names seems to be buzzing around in my life lately. I just read Jen's blog who reported on the naming of the Paltrow/Martin children -(can I just say WTF?) Also, yesterday I talked to an old friend and found out she's 5 months pregnant. She knows it's a boy and she and her hubby have already started to argue over a name. They just can't seem to agree. He keeps pushing the names Aidan & Gavin - which my friend doesn't really like (no offense to all you Aidans & Gavins out there).
Last night, I was reading to my daughter a chapter from "Barbie's the Magic of Pegasus" (one of those pink and foofy girly books) which she just got at her school's book fair. I chuckled as I came upon the name of the book's "hero" - Prince Aidan. Here is his manly picture (alongside Shiver the polar bear):

I sent my friend the pic figuring this might sway her husband's opinion of Aidan... but what about Gavin? Suddenly I remembered what every good Kid's in the Hall fan should- THIS is why you shouldn't name your kid Gavin:
GAVIN
This is all in fun of course. I'm sure I could come up with a reason NOT to use just about any name you throw at me. Gwyneth & Chris should've consulted me - I'm just sayin'...
Last night, I was reading to my daughter a chapter from "Barbie's the Magic of Pegasus" (one of those pink and foofy girly books) which she just got at her school's book fair. I chuckled as I came upon the name of the book's "hero" - Prince Aidan. Here is his manly picture (alongside Shiver the polar bear):

I sent my friend the pic figuring this might sway her husband's opinion of Aidan... but what about Gavin? Suddenly I remembered what every good Kid's in the Hall fan should- THIS is why you shouldn't name your kid Gavin:
GAVIN
This is all in fun of course. I'm sure I could come up with a reason NOT to use just about any name you throw at me. Gwyneth & Chris should've consulted me - I'm just sayin'...

My inlaws tend to re-use names. There are maybe half a dozen names that have been reused within the family. There are a total of 4 family members with hubby's name. We even have a niece with my name, who was born while hubby and I were dating. Years later my sister in law said "We already had the name picked out and we didn't know if she (meaning me) was a keeper". Funny, because we were preparing to move in together at the time of this niece's birth...
Anyway, when our son was born, we intentionally chose two original to the family, but not uncommon, names for his first and middle names. First thing out of mother in law's mouth after the birth of our son and hearing his name? "Is that a family name?" Hubby's response: "It is now."
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:36 AM
who's pregnant? I don't mind Gavin or Aidan, with the right last name of course (Aidan Abetting would not be so great).
We got a lot of shit for naming our son Jude ("isn't that a GIRL's name?". When Peter is older and takes crap for being named "Peter" (spoken in Beavis and Butthead speak), just tell him he could have been named Moses or Hitler.
Posted by
princess slea |
9:41 AM
I love it. Good response from your husband! My kids have normal names... my husband and I have pretty normal names but not anything we could EVER find on a mug or toothbrush or bicycle license plate (a sore subject for us both).
I always try to think of how a name will sound when they're older too. If I had only put that much thought into my tattoos. I'll be the hippest granny in the retirement village!
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
10:21 AM
I know, I know Princess... but Peter is better than Dick.. don't ya think?
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
10:23 AM
I think Peter is adorable (and the name to. budump cha!).
All kids are going to get made fun of, peter is just an easy one. I would have seriously told you that you were carazy if you'd named him Dick. Hey, remember I was considering Blaise Pascal Vincent for my first born (chimp gave me so much shit for that).
Hoggins Z Boggins (or whatever that song is??)
Posted by
princess slea |
10:44 AM
I know what you mean about considering how names will sound when kids are older - It's hard to imagine that a couple decades from now there will be a bunch of grandmas out there named Tiffany! (no offense if you happen to have a daughter, niece, etc. named Tiffany)
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:26 AM
So true... I found this cool site where you can put in the year and it will give you the top 20 baby names for that year. My year Jennifer was the #1 name... I should post that link if I can just find it...
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
1:31 PM
The social security administration's website has a list like that, I think.
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:58 PM
Ace Fawcett? Sounds like the illegitmate child of Ace Frehley and Farrah Fawcett (I'll bet he hears that a lot). Jennifer was big the year I was born too (1971). My dad told me it was because the movie "Love Story" had just come out (a big hit back then) and the girl's name in it was "Jenny" - but the actress who played her was Ali McGraw (which is where my dad got my name... seriously!)
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
8:38 PM