Back to the Preppy Thing...
At the risk of sounding overly concerned with the label "Preppy," I'd like to see just what it is that people think of when they hear "preppy." I usually think of an Izod wearing junior republican named Buffy who visits the country club with mummy and daddy.
This is not me at all. So why do my friends think I'm preppy? Just because I like to look neat and tidy? Because I have a pair of shoes to match every outfit? Because I make sure my underwear mathces my clothing? Because I spend more time on my hair than most spend on their make-up? (I don't wear make-up, so this all evens out). Maybe it's because I have pet peeves about spelling, grammar, capitalization and etiquette in general. I'm afraid the more I talk about my idiosnycracies, the nuttier I sound.
So, I'm no prep, just a control freak with no control whatsoever. My house is messy, I can't keep up with the laundry and I'm swimming in bills. Did I mention the 4 year old and 2 year old hanging off my legs every minute I'm home? Throw in the full time job, and I'm officially off the hook. Controlled Chaos. Does everyone live like this? And... what does it have to do with being a prep?
This is not me at all. So why do my friends think I'm preppy? Just because I like to look neat and tidy? Because I have a pair of shoes to match every outfit? Because I make sure my underwear mathces my clothing? Because I spend more time on my hair than most spend on their make-up? (I don't wear make-up, so this all evens out). Maybe it's because I have pet peeves about spelling, grammar, capitalization and etiquette in general. I'm afraid the more I talk about my idiosnycracies, the nuttier I sound.
So, I'm no prep, just a control freak with no control whatsoever. My house is messy, I can't keep up with the laundry and I'm swimming in bills. Did I mention the 4 year old and 2 year old hanging off my legs every minute I'm home? Throw in the full time job, and I'm officially off the hook. Controlled Chaos. Does everyone live like this? And... what does it have to do with being a prep?

I'm pretty sure the nickname came from the LLBean jacket you wore all the time along with the penny loafers or nice clean white tennis shoes (tennis anyone?).
If it makes you feel any better, I don't exactly identify with the HippyChick moniker either (not anymore anyway). Back in the early 90's I'm sure we "wore" each title for a day or two while we were trying those characters out.
Other characters we tried on? I remember your "dart queen" days, sexy vamp doin it in limosine days, & the sweet innocent phase (short lived once you moved to Ft. Lauderdale). As for me? hmmmm...always sweet and innocent.
Posted by
princess slea |
5:53 PM
I picked PreppyGirl not because of what you wore but HOW you were. You were a very "controlled and neat and tidy" person back then. (Read: you didn't know how to have fun!)
But now....oh now, grasshopper.... you have learned well. Even the most jaded ho could learn a thing or two from you.
....my work is done.
Posted by
Sherri |
5:26 AM
Thanks girls. I suppose I can't escape the Preppy thing not matter how hard I try. I was the only dead head around in K-swiss. And during the dart queen phase, I was the best dressed girl in the bar drinking straight from the pitcher.
Good times.
Posted by
PreppyGirl |
12:10 PM